Who is this?

Technology Editor of Times of London until July 2010. Now swimming in the freelance shark pool, with abiding interest in games, gadgets and what it all means. If you're looking for product reviews, head elsewhere. Unless it's a really nice product. This is more of an attempt to sift out what matters from what doesn't. With a bit of gossip thrown in for good measure. I'm also learning to use Blogger as I go along, so please bear with me.

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Virgin Trains £11 to Manchester? Not if you've got an iPhone

Imagine my excitement when I discovered that Virgin Trains was offering £11 one-way fares to Manchester via its mobile ticketing service Mobitix.

So, I register for the site, then put in my phone number to test that it's all working. My phone's an iPhone 3GS, so should be no problem, right?

Wrong.

The text arrives, I click on the link, Safari duly opens and the site tells me my phone is not supported.

What is this madness? Why is the phone that most seamlessly integrates web ability with telephony and all the rest excluded?

I've sent an incredulous letter to Virgin. I'll let you know if they bother replying. Let's hope their computers are compatible with e-mail.

UPDATE: The Virgin service is also incompatible with my wife's HTC Wildfire. Perhaps it would be quicker if Virgin just told us what phones the services DOES work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment